Monday, February 9, 2015

Citizenship

Hailing from the land of Hershey’s chocolate and vast stretches of cornfields (America), I feel a bit of a stranger to Scotland, for now. Walking on the left side of the sidewalk, eating (and actually enjoying) haggis, drinking tea with milk, trying to come up with the best team name at weekly pub quiz nights (Tequila Mockingbird or You’re a Quizzard, Harry)... In ways such as these, my life is a bit different from the one back in America. I do feel settled in, but at the same time, I bear an acute sense of awareness that I am not from here, and I don’t know if I will be able to ever say I truly belong here. 

And I think that's okay, because my citizenship is founded in another world, one in which peoples of all nations will come together, people from all neighborhoods and zip codes and cities will gather round as one. A world in which there will be no more crying, no more death, no more pain. No more feeling like a stranger in a strange land, but a citizen. 
A citizen of a kingdom that knows no bounds, a kingdom where all are welcome, a kingdom better than the ones we see on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment