Monday, February 23, 2015

11 Days, 5 Countries, Countless Crazy & Memorable Moments

3 days in Belgium.
1 day in Luxembourg.
(1 night in Scotland.)
4 days in the Republic of Ireland.
3 days in Northern Ireland.

Belgium
A small country with a big heart. And big Belgian waffles and frites (French for 'fries'). Together with Jill and Joan, we were three musketeers munching on chocolate (lots of it) in Brussels, wandering the streets at night in search for the (in)famous fries, and hearing World War I stories from our enthusiastic Sandeman tour-guide of how Belgium bravely stopped the Germans from invading France. On our last day in Belgium, we caught a train to Bruges. The fog enveloped the land and added a mystical magical-ness to the place. Boat-riding on the canals of Bruges and climbing up the tower were great ways to end our Belgian adventure.

waffles for breakfast in Brussels!

Luxembourg
Europe has a lot of preserved history, from castles to churches to grand markets that have operated for centuries. With its ducal palace and churches around every corner and picturesque cobblestone streets, Luxembourg is no exception. It really felt like walking in a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale story. I am thankful that a local showed us around and taught us some words from the Luxembourgish language, and we ended up eating one of the best lunches I've had: kniddelen!

whoever invented the choco-spoon, you're brilliant

Scotland
I bid adieu to my traveling companions and headed back to Edinburgh, 1) to unpack and 2) to re-pack. When I arrived at my flat, I was greeted by Valentine's Day gifts left for me in front of my door. Polish chocolate snacks and hand-made origami. How thoughtful <3.

my flatmates are so sweet

Ireland
My flatmate Amy and I woke up early to fly to Dublin, and the sun shone brightly throughout our first day there. Dublin is lively, day and night. Beautiful bridges span the River Liffey, and we loved walking around in the sun in the gardens behind the castle. The highlights were reuniting with old friends. 1) ate lunch with my high school classmate (Colleen), whom I had known since 5th grade. and 2) ate Nando's chicken dinner with a friend I met in Hong Kong last summer (Michaela), who had worked at the same children's camp I did. Reunions are always uplifting, because they're glimpses of what it'd be like to return home to God.

reunited with Colleen at Trinity College Dublin!
on the River Liffey!

reunited with Michaela, a Godly young woman!

Northern Ireland
What can I say about a country with rolling green pastures, ancient castles, sheep grazing in the fields, dramatic landscapes featuring unique rocks rising out of the sea, and friendly people? This past weekend was the last leg of my holiday break, and it was the best way to end. I stayed with family friends, who were the most welcoming hosts ever, taking me on a bus tour of Belfast and Giant's Causeway on the northern coast. But what I enjoyed the most was just chilling at their house, playing games and watching TV ("River Monsters" #jeremywade), worshiping God on a Sunday morning, meeting their grandmum and her cute wee dog. And just before boarding the plane, the rain stopped and the sun shone and a rainbow appeared in the sky. So clutch.

struck with wonder

braving the wind at Giant's Causeway


I've learned that you can travel to far-off places, eat exotic foods, discover mountains and oceans, and explore hidden lands. But what really makes the place, and what really makes a trip memorable, are the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment