Monday, March 2, 2015

Why Did Jesus Come During Roman Rule? (Thoughts from a Day Trip to Chester, England)

On Sunday March 1, my friend and I took a train from Liverpool to nearby Chester. Decked with cobblestone lanes and Tudor-style townhouses, the city transported us back in time.


 In fact, all the way back to ancient Roman times!
The biggest Roman amphitheater in the UK is in Chester. The remaining stone walls outline a huge arena, which could have seated 8,000-10,000 people! The Latin nerd in me still stands strong!
Russell Crowe, come at me


This got me thinking about the vastness of the ancient Roman Empire. When he defeated the King of Pontus in 47 BC and won the Battle of Zela, Julius Caesar (in)famously declared, “veni, vidi, vici” = “I came, I saw, I conquered.” From Egypt to Spain to Turkey to yep even England, Roman influence stretched across the Mediterranean.
And my mind stretched back to a different Roman province: Judea.
*****
            Why was Jesus born there? Why did he live and do all his ministry there?
            Why not North America, or Asia?
Why not somewhere else, and at some other time?
Hmmm, I’ve always wondered that...
Why did God specifically send his son to be born in a little town called Bethlehem in an area reigned ruthlessly by the tyrannical Roman rulers?



I think it was exactly because of that.
At the time of Jesus’ life on earth, the Romans taxed the people heavily, took away their livelihoods, and governed viciously.
Jesus wanted to tell the world of a different kingdom. He wanted to give hope and new life to his people. He came to earth, not only saw us but also lived among us, and conquered death for us.
Born around 7-2 BC and living on earth until around 30-33 AD, Jesus came at the right time. The Jewish people were looking for a king, a hero, a rescuer. Jesus is that king. Also, at the time, the worst possible way to die was death on the cross. Though innocent, Jesus died the criminal's death in the most horrible way ever. When he rose from the dead, I'm sure he not only baffled the locals, but the Romans, too.
Practically, roads had been built by the Romans, so all across the Mediterranean, from Greece to Turkey to Italy, Christianity spread quickly. And the written word of Latin and Greek could be understood by many peoples across many provinces.
(I'm sure there are more reasons as to why Jesus came to earth during Roman rule, but these are just a few that I'm thinking of!)

The Latin phrase imperium sine fine (aka "empire without end" -- the Romans, o so humble) expressed the thought that their empire knows no bounds. 



I believe, though, that Jesus declared to his people of a new kingdom, one that truly goes on without end. A kingdom that is limited by no walls, no geographical lines, no boundaries. A kingdom for all peoples of all nations. A kingdom that, in the very end, will stand strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment