Thursday, March 12, 2015

What is God's will?

Raise yo hands if you've asked this question.

Raise'm. Raise'm high.

'Cuz I, too, find myself asking this question. A lot.

What is God's will?

I'm the type of person who likes to plan things out. Graduate, finish my medical degree, get a job, earn money, find a guy, marry, build a family, star in a movie alongside Tom Hanks, etc etc etc...

Yeaaa, being abroad has compelled me to be more spontaneous --- lots of things are done on the fly, like choosing to hop on a bus and venture out to Murrayfield for a rugby match I had just heard about that day, or deciding to take an early morning train to the northern Belgian town of Bruges the very day we were supposed to hop on a plane back to Edinburgh...

But I'm still an ol' fashioned planner. (I even write out all the food items I need to buy before going to the grocery...and I map out all my meals for that week...lol...)

I am also the kind of person who is so indecisive. (Just ask any of my friends, and they know not to ask me where to eat out for dinner, because literally I will say, "whatever is best for you guys!" or "I'm good with anything!"...sorry, friends!)

In a sense, I'm a bit flawed in those ways, because this often leads me to fear.

Fear of making the wrong decision.

Fear of stepping out of God's will.

******

What is "God's will"?

Many of us want to do God's will, but sometimes we struggle because maybe God's will isn't as clear as we'd like it to be. We want to know his plans for us, we want to know where he will lead us, we want to know when this or that will happen, and so on...

When things aren't clear, go directly to God. Voice your concerns to him, because he truly does care. Speak with him, and listen, too. Relationships are a 2-way thing. If you put your trust in God, He gives you his Holy Spirit and lives in you. The God of the universe offers himself to you in a personal relationship. #amazing

When things aren't clear, go to the Scriptures as well, because "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17). I like to start my days by reading a passage from the Bible, like a Psalm. As the word of God becomes more and more embedded in you, the more he is able to guide you on a daily basis.

I could go on talking forever about God's will. God's will is "good, pleasing, and perfect" (Romans 12:12). What God wants for us is to have a personal relationship with Him. To put our faith in Him. That's all he wants. He doesn't want perfect hearts, but yielded hearts. In all things, then, whether it's our careers or relationships or aspirations, let us seek Him and His will. So if you're ever worried about a decision you have to make, thing about this: does it seek to glorify God? is it in tune with what the Bible says? does it reflect the love of Christ?

I believe that anything you do out of love, of the kind of love that Jesus Christ gives us, can bring no harm. I believe a decision based on Christ's love is good.

For now, I think I'll end with this: the apostle Paul writes,
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. +1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I read this and it gave me tons of encouragement. I hope it does for you too.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know Who holds tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment